Brass Wire Inlay Clock

Not sure if this was a good idea at the time, but deiced to do it anyway. Yes sucker for punishment, I know but it was worth a go.I brought the ,*clock, kit from amazon. It was a cheap kit but good enough for the first go at a clock. I must confess I tried to make a clock before this one. It was supposed to be a segmented clock making it out of strips of Oak, Meranti and Teak.Clock face templateIt didn’t end well, I still used my chisels to chisel the numbers out but because weather it was a bad choice of timbers or the fact i was whacking it with chisels , it kept splitting, so I give up on that one. This clock I decided to make out of one solid piece of Meranti and brought a 1.5mm router bit for my battery router. This was a perfect size because the brass wire I was going to use was 1.8mm. I thought using roman numerals might be easier if I`m going to use the router freehand. Because my hands shake so much, due to some medication, I did a test piece with the router and found that it was more stable pulling the router towards me rather than pushing. I video everything when I do these projects so you can see the good and the bad.I was given a nice piece of Meranti by a friend of my son,( Thanks Micheal ).Compass lines for limits for marking

I first squared up the timber and then put it through the Thicknesser a few times to get a nice thickness to work with.I found the centre point and marked a cross from 12 to 6 and 9 to 3. this gave me grid lines to work with. I marked the same on the clock face which allowed me to get everything in the right place. I put a piece of carbon paper in between the paper and the wood and stuck them down with some nice strong masking tape so it wont move.Now, When I printed the clock face out, I could not get it to print the lines thin enough so I just marked the center of the roman numeral, I do think that things would of turned out a lot neater if I could find a PNG with lines thin enough just for the width of the pen that you are using.To get over the different length lines, I used a compass to mark out the outer most lines of the roman numerals and the inner most. I then routered out the lines as accurate as possible, which is a long job. when I thought that was a long job, Gluing in the Brass piecesit was nothing compared to cutting and dry fitting all the bits of brass wire. After checking a good fit I glued each piece in with a thin C.A glue. Time to sand, I started off with 80 grit sandpaper so it would take off the brass quite quickly, then 120 grit. It was at this point that it was showing up where all the holes were that you couldn’t see until you sanded. Although I thought the joint was ok, buy the time you have sanded half way through the brass wire, it changes shape, something I didn’t even think about. I did the only thing I could, fill it with saw dust and glue. After another sanding with 120g and a final one with 240g that was it. I had some clear coat satin finish left over from the last project so I gave it one coat of that, a quick rub down with 400g just to smooth things out then one final coat.Fixing the clock kit
After fitting the clock kit I noticed the hands were too long, because the hands were made from very thin aluminium, a pair of sharp scissors sorted that out.

As with most of the projects, I could see where I could improve and change things but its the general idea im trying to get across. There is a video of the whole process below if you want to watch. Hope you enjoy, Cheers