Sand blasted and scorched timber ( Sho-Sugi-Ban )
This is another project where I have used reclaimed timber, destined for the skip. At the end of a large building project a company will, throw away vast amounts of timber and other building materials that could be reused in so many other ways. Ninety nine percent of the time, if you ask for timber, the company will let you take wood; it allows them more room in their skip.
The sand blasted timber I used was from an old contract; destined for the skip. They allowed me to take it home to use one of my many projects. I knew where I was going to use it and stored it flat until I was ready to up-claim. During the summer I was finally building my workshop in the garden. As this is the last house we are going to live in, it was time to build. The workshop allows me to put together more projects; I’m also able to make videos in the Winter months as well as the Summer. The days of trying to build and film on the decking ,in-between rain showers, are now a thing of the past. On this occasion I didn’t have a huge amount of timber to work with. I therefore needed to plan out which planks would go where and indeed whether they would look good. I had the head and two sides of the frame to calculate how the different widths, of the planks, would work; I only had one shot at it. Although I had stored the planks flat and in the dry, they had started to cup quite badly, however this all added the authenticity I was looking for. I decided to biscuit joint the edges, in an attempt to get the planks to lay as flat as I could. I added battens to the back of the planks to stabilise them as well as possible.When I first got the boards I intended to paint them black but whilst making the video I had the idea of burning, or scorching the wood. I think it was a Japanese technique called Shou-Sugi-Ban. I think there are different variations of this technique including, different thicknesses of burn and different colours of wood. Using sandblasted timber isn’t one I have seen before so I wasn’t completely sure if my idea would work.
I therefore scorched a sample piece as a trial; it worked out really well and so that was it, decision made. I first burnt a light coat, scorching more layers ways until I was happy with the end result. Many hours later and smelling of smoke, I had the finished product. Now, how you finish is entirely personal. I then brushed down part of the test piece, with a brass wire brush and liked both, so asked the wife. She preferred the brushed effect so brushing it was to be; my wife is the interior designer for all my projects after all. After much brushing and dusting down, I gave the wooden planks three coats of polyurethane varnish. Because the walls the frame were going to were all over the place, I had to fix some timbers to the walls in order to fit the frame to something stable. After fitting the frame, I cut and fitted architrave to said frame.
On the kitchen side I used teak, which had three coats of varnish. On the extension side I used the same scorched timber of the frame, but ripped it down to 100mm ( 4 inch ). This also had three coats of polyurethane varnish. This project was the first time I have tried this, Shou-Sugi-Ban technique and it worked.
Below is the YouTube video I made to demonstrate my work; hope you enjoy it and comment if you like.