Slate Topped Table ( Made Of Leftover Bits )

 

This is a project of bits. I got the slate top from one job, the Oak blocks from another( With permission of course ). The slate table top used to be a fire place hearth so had all sorts of shapes cut out of one side, so the first thing I had to do is cut all that out so it looks like a table top. I used an 9 inch grinder with a diamond ¬†blade. I clamped a peice¬† of timber on it as a guide.Although I followed the timber, it didn’t give a very good finish. To try and get the finish I wanted, I used a flapper wheel on a 4 inch grinder. That didn’t do much at all so I left that alone and went on to the job of drilling the holes for the studs that were going to hold the top in
place on the Oak blocks. Because I didn’t have specialist equipment to drill the holes, I used a diamond drill bit which was for porcelain or tiles. The drill bit was
supposed to be used in conjunction with a water system, Which I didn’t have either, so being a fan of MacGyver, I cut a hole in a piece of ply the same size as my drill
bit. For my water system I drilled a hole in the top of a bottle and filled it with water, and squeezed. The error in my plan came to light as the drill bit went
through the hole I cut, It then become unsupported, so it decided to go where it wanted, which caused me much pain later on.
After drilling the eight wonky holes I went back to sorting out the edge grinding. I did a bit of research and found a metal grinding disk with encrusted diamond. After
a few goes up and down with that disk, it took most of the big bits out but it still wasn’t good enough for the finishing. Then I came across some flexible diamond disks.
I brought them from Amazon,and they come with a rubber backing pad which fits to the 4 inch grinder, well it would of done if the thread wasn’t wrong, so the inner MacGyverin me came out again, I cutted a piece of threaded bar the same size and then just put in the chuck of my drill and used it that way. It was a bit difficult to control at first but after a bit of practice I had mastered it. The set comes with various disk that had velcro on the back. They were sized from 50g to 3000g. I started at 50g and made my way up till I was happy with the finish. Now, the trouble sum holes, the idea was to cut lengths of brass stud and have the brass studs showing as a feature.
But because the drill bit problem, they were a bit baggy, It just so happened that the brass studs slipped into 15mm copper pipe and the copper pipe was the exact size
of the baggy holes, I will tell everybody I meant to do that and nobody will ever know.
I then started to work on the Oak blocks. They had previously been lightly sand blasted, which brought the grain very nicely.To clean up, and bring out the grain a bit more, I used a wire brush bit in my drill and gave them a good going over. After all that work, I measured the blocks and found they were too different sizes, should of checked before, I cut them to the same size and sanded the tops.At the base of the blocks is a rebate which gave the impression that they were floating, so I made them a little deeper to accentuate the illusion. I drilled 2 holes in each block to take the 2 brass poles, which were to keep the blocks in the right place and too make a small magazine shelf.I made the holes a tight fit and glued them in situe. to give the blocks a nice finish and to protect them, I sprayed a few coats of polyurethane
varnish, the varnish was made by Plastkote. I cut the brass studs and copper tubes. I glued the brass studs into the copper sleves. I only made the copper sleeves the thickness of the slate top. I glued them in with Aradite, a two part epoxy glue. After drying a started to dry fit them to the slate top. as you may remember, my contraption didn’t work very well. Not only did it not drill the right size, it didn’t go straight down either, so I had to grind the stud tops to the right shape for each hole. I had to make sure they were in the right hole because this glue is good, so I had one chance to get it right. After gluing the studs and putting them in the hole, they would slip down the hole so I got some strong gaffa tape and stuck it over the hole making sure it was holding the stud up long enough for the glue to go off.
I decided to not glue the top down to the Oak blocks, considering It weighs about 150-180kg, I didn’t think it needed it because I wouldn’t be able to move it and I didn`t think anybody was going to steal it. I drilled locating holes in the Oak instead. After it was completed I washed and scrubbed the top, then three coats of sealer.
Unfortunately it brought out some staining. I suppose it was a fire place hearth so its probably had alsorts spilt on it.The finished table I shall put a link to the YouTube video at the bottom, If you have any questions please feel free to either use the `contact us` page or put them in the comments of the YouTube video,
Cheers.