Staircase project and handrail

This was my first YouTube video I published, so I was a bit worried about the whole thing. The actual hand rail came out quite good in the end so was happy with the results. Because we were making a flat above a garage into a house,it meant I had to at some point fit some stairs. I needed some staires quickly so I made a set out of MDF ( to part K of the uk building regs ). I used 18mm moisture resistant MDF and I knew at some point in the future I would need to do something to them some how. I had some 5×1 inch ( 125mm x 24mm ) PAR ( Planned all round ) timber at home I had been saving for something, that something is here. I laminated the pieces together,
alternating the grain to minimize cupping. I used PVA glue but used a small 4 inch ( 100mm ) roller to spread out the glue as evenly as possible. I clamped them in there
over sized lengths and left over night. Next day I started to cut to length and use half lap joints at the bottom of the newel post onto the strings of the stairs.
To make sure I got a nice steady fixing I used coach screws to fix the newel posts onto the strings, also using PVA glue just to make sure of a good fix.
I used a trim router to round over the top edges of the newel post and sanded with 80g sand Paper then 120g sandpaper for a fine finish.I decided to drill the holes in situe because it wasn’t going to be accurate enough doing it pre installation. To make sure I had the holes level and square to the newel post, I clamped my 6ft ( 1800mm approx ) level to the newel posts as a guide. I used my longer Makita SDS drill because it would show up more if I had not got it parallel to the level. I must admit I cheated a bit by looking down to make sure I had the drill square with the newel post and had my camera set at the same level as the 6ft level and looked at the camera monitor to make sure it was level, cheating I know but a good cheat me thinks. The top hole was 25mm, which was for a chrome hanging rail for a wardrobe, next a 22mm hole for a copper pipe,( in the UK, the next was another hanging rail but 19mm chrome, the last was 15mm for copper pipe. Depending on what country you are in ,this might vary a bit. Another trick I used was ,to drill the holes at an angle to the newel post,
I first drilled a shallow hole square on to the newel post then that gave me a guide for my drill bit when I drilled the hole at an angle.
The holes that I drilled at the two newels going down the stairs, I made the top hole twice the depth of the bottom hole so you could push the pipe up into the top hole then pull down the pipe into the bottom hole, knowing it was going to be a solid fix instead of relying on the glue to hold the pipe in position because when you are walking up the stairs you are pulling on the pipe, Which was held in place by the shallower hole, and when you are going down stairs you are pushing on the pole which again you have the timber back stop to rely on instead of glue. The top newel ,which was to close to the next one to get my drill in, I drilled straight through the post
into the next one,I just slipped the pipes through and after gluing the pipes in, I just cut some wood plugs and glued them in. After a bit of sanding and a couple of coats of paint you couldn’t see them at all. Because I wanted the bottom of the stairs to be open, I didn’t want a bottom newel, so I cut a length of 28mm copper pipe, soldered
two cap ends on and used two brass pipe clips to fix to two oak Patrice blocks that was fixed to the wall opposite to the where the newel was supposed to be. To finish off I used Brasso on the pipes to leave a nice shine then sealed them with a coat of metal lacquer to try and protect them.
I have a few videos on the staircase project so I will leave links at the bottom of the page, also if you have any questions or comments about this or any of the other videos, please use the `contact us`form on the web page or in the comments of the YouTube channel, Feel free to subscribe to the YouTube channel for future videos, Cheers.